Pages

We are Building a House!

We bought land yesterday. I can't believe it. I've wanted to build my own home since I can remember. It's a dream my grandparents sparked in me. I watched my grandmother pour over Better Homes and Garden magazine, tearing out and dog-earing pages of beautiful homes she loved. She would make notes on the pages such as, "these cabinets" and "paint color." She would talk about windows and "the new thing in houses these days." She circled fabrics and window treatments. She often asked me what kind of house I wanted when I grew up. I always said, "a  BIG ONE! with columns!!" She would smile and ask me who was going to clean my mansion and then we would laugh. We would sometimes drive around town just looking at houses. My grandfather built houses. I remember blue prints sitting out on the dining room table he built, that I now own, and wondering how it all worked.
And now we are building what we hope will be our forever home, together with my in-laws. My husband's mother has been ill for sometime now and we feel it would be best for his parents to come live with us so that we can help more. At first we looked at houses with walk out basements to convert into living quarters but the pickings were slim and we couldn't find anything that worked for all parties involved. So, we decided that building together would be the best option. After months of looking for the perfect spot to build our little dream on, we finally found an acre of property. It just happens to be in the same tiny town that my grandparents are from and very near my aunt and uncle who we are extremely close to. Actually, it was my uncle who found us the property.
We are so excited to start building. Our plans are finalized and we are about to get bids from contractors. I'm really hoping we can break ground in the next three months.
The purpose of this blog is to serve as a keepsake of sorts of our journey and also as a way to share the tips and tricks we learn along the way. There are so many moving parts to building a house and so many choices to make. One thing I know for sure is that I want a gray house with a blue door.

No comments:

Post a Comment